i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Don't Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth

Genesis 4:3-5 - "At harvesting Cain brought the Lord a gift of his farm produce, while abel brought several choice lambs from the best of his flock. The Lord accepted Abel and his offering, but he did not accept cain and his offering. This made Cain very angry and dejected"
*
This one is a tough one for me. It seems in the text that it says nothing about the offering that Cain brought and in no way did it seem to hint of something bad about it. I was always thought in Sunday School that he brought rotten old fruits and vegetables, but it appears that this is not the case. The only difference in the two offerings is that the one the Lord loves is the best the person had to offer. Cain's offering was probably decent, but he could have done a little better. What gets me even more is that he not only rejects Cain's offering, but he also rejects Cain himself. Because Cain did not give his best to the Lord, he himself was rejected. I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. Maybe it is because I relate to him so closely. I know for a fact that the Lord does not get the very best I have to offer. Maybe I am just so trained and used to this fact that I am left feeling sorry for the villain of the story. Maybe it's because I am just as guilty as he is.
*
Lord I ask you to help me to give you my best this year. My best time of the day. My best attention in my disciplines. Help me to resemble Abel more than Cain in this story. I am terrified of being rejected by you because I trick myself by giving you offerings that you do not desire. Show me what you desire, and I will give the best that I can . I am yours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home