i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Saturday, January 15, 2005

The Notorious JC

Luke 15:1 – Tax collectors and other notorious sinners often came to listen to Jesus teach.
*
Here is one of my weaknesses. I look at my own life and I don’t see this happening. I have never been attractive to the non believer the way that Jesus was. I have friends who are, people just feel right at home with them, but I don’t know what it is about me. Now I know all the rules, and I don’t find myself to be very judgmental, but I can’t seem to attract those who don’t know the Lord. My friends have been Christians for about six years now. I can’t believe that as I write it, but I haven’t had a close non Christian friend in at least five years. So what was it about Jesus that made the sinners come running? What am I missing from the equation? Jesus spent some time a lot of time with sinners, but even when I am in that place, I feel that people steer clear. Maybe that is just my insecurity. I worked for a year and a half at a restaurant recently, and I never once went out to do something with anybody from work. I guess I am just a chicken. I was invited to a few parties, but never had the balls to go. I think the main reason for that is that, is that I feel uncomfortable there. I feel like I have nothing to talk about. I feel like I can’t relate. I do relate, but not in the perfect way I would want to. But I know the bottom line is to just have some guts and hang out with the non Christians. I am not very good at making friends anymore in general which makes the task even harder. But I feel that this is very important. To be more like Christ, I need to hang out with sinners more. That’s simple.
*
Lord let this not just be lip service to you. Help me to follow through with what you say in your word. I want notorious sinners to often come to hear me speak, or just so much as enjoy my presence. I know you are calling me to befriend the lost. I pray you would start with Joe from work. Help me to reach him for you. Forget about that, I know you will take care of that, just help me to really befriend him. God I love you , help me to love the lost the way you do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

being non-christian & being a "sinner" are not synonymous

perhaps you could consider that what might be driving people away is your small-minded judgemental attitude towards them

<3,
mungojelly

11:41 PM

 
Blogger Thomas said...

mungojelly
thanks a lot for the criticism. I appreciate any kind here. Hope you read my response, and understand where I am comming from a little better. It is in the post titled "The Crowd Favorite".

10:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home