i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Mustard and Yeast

Luke 13:18-21 - “Then Jesus said, "What is the Kingdom of God like? How can I illustrate it? It is like a tiny mustard seed planted in a garden; it grows and becomes a tree, and the birds come and find shelter among its branches." He also asked, "What else is the Kingdom of God like? It is like yeast used by a woman making bread. Even though she used a large amount of flour, the yeast permeated every part of the dough." Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he went, always pressing on toward Jerusalem.”
*
Does anyone really know what Jesus point is with these illustrations? I am not sure exactly what he is getting at but that is not going to stop me from trying to apply it to my life. I would say all in all I am a pretty good interpreter of scripture. I am usually careful to take the biblical meaning and not take scriptures out of their original context. My readers have permission to hold me accountable to this. But honestly, I would love to hear your understanding of this passage. Here's what I can say about the text. 1) The Kingdom of God is designed to grow. 2) It spreads rapidly. 3) As it grows more are included. That gets me thinking about me and my calling. I get to wondering which part of these three aspects I need to focus on the most. I feel particularly called to the rapid spreading of the kingdom of God. About a week ago I decided to change my email signature. I took out my current job title and changed it with my personal job title. It reads “revival seeker/enthusiast.” This is my desire. I am currently reading a book by Ralph Moore called “Friends”. It is supposed to be a handbook for reaching Gen X, but it has turned out so far to be a how to start a revival hand book. I love that. I feel called to spend my entire life dedicated to seeing a revival take place in my generation. In biblical terms I want to see the Kingdom of God do what it was designed to do. I want to see the mustard seed that the Lord has planted in my heart grow into a tree where birds can find refuge. I want to see myself and my likeminded contemporaries as yeast who are doing everything they can to permeate this culture. This is my dream. I make no bones about it. (My dad always used that expression and I have no idea what it means. I want to be a key player in a coming revival, and I want God to use me to do just that.
*
Lord that is how I pray. Use me. I beg you to use me. I ask you to come and make true on your illustrations of the kingdom of god in this generation. Let me be a part of what you are doing. Let this passion never leave my heart. I want it and it is all for you. In places where it is not for you, convict me and I will do my best to make them yours. Revive me continually. Revive my church, revive my town, and revive my nation.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

thanks brian. Its great to see you on here. Just wanted to let you know that i appreciate your friendship and your wise words at tribe the oher night with micah. You are a great guy to have around.

10:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home