i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Best be Prayin Before You're Playin

Luke 4:13-14 - “When the Devil had finished tempting Jesus, he left him until the next opportunity came. Then Jesus returned to Galilee, filled with the Holy Spirit's power. Soon he became well known throughout the surrounding country.”
*
What strikes me about this verse is the sequence that the Lord operates in here. In Matthew Jesus is filled with the Holy Spirit immediately after his baptism, but these verses paint a different picture. The book of Luke does not mention Jesus’ filling with the Holy Spirit in the section earlier on his baptism. In fact the first time Jesus is portrayed with the Holy Spirit is right here. I am not bothered by the differences of these two accounts, I have come to peace about the harmony of the gospels, instead I am moved by the order of events here. Simply put, after Jesus spent time praying and fasting, he was filled with the Holy Spirit. We see this also in the book of acts. This gets me excited because I know that I can both pray and fast, and therefore that same Holy Spirit that lived in Jesus now can live in me. I am comfortable with the fact that the Holy Spirit has always lived in me from the moment I was saved, but what I see here is the power accompanies it in Jesus’ life. Through prayer and fasting that same power is available to me.
*
Lord, fill my heart with a desire to pray. Fill my heart with the desire to fast. I know you have huge plans for my life. I even believe that I can be the most influential person since Jesus himself, if I am willing to truly devote myself to you, these two things, and the work of your spirit that follows. Burn my heart for that. Make it burn for you, and prayer and fasting. Teach me how to pray the way Jesus did. I wonder what he was doing for those 40 days. Help me to have the focus to be able to pray like him. Use me Lord.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home