i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Silver not Gray

25 down 50 (give or take) to go. Call me morbid, that’s just how I work. I think of it as being a realist. I spent surprisingly little time dwelling on my impending death today, as I normally do each time a birthday rolls around. I figure that I went through my third life crisis last year, so I am cool until 36. That one is going to be tough because it’s the half way point.

Someone shared with me tonight that life is like a jump off the empire state building. When you first go you feel like you will be falling forever, but once you get a little ways into it you realize that it is all going pretty darn quick. That hit me at right around 20, and from what I hear it gets even quicker from here on out.

To tell you the truth, I am not real sure how I am supposed to be feeling. Not just about my birthday, but about my life as a whole. If I am being completely honest, I feel like I am at a pretty good place all in all. I think my goal in growing up (and I am officially grown up now, I can rent a car. In fact I can do anything I want with the exception of being the US President) was just not to disqualify myself from reaching my full potential. I wanted to be able to not have anything that I looked back on and regretted. It is funny but I feel like our generation no longer believes in regret. I really don’t think I have ever heard someone seriously say that they regret a major life decision that they had made. My generation has bought into this idea that all the bad stuff in our lives make us who we are today, and that we wouldn’t want to change that. Never mind, that so many of us don’t like the people that we are. That has always been a pet peeve. If I ever ask you what you regret most about your life, don’t tell me nothing. That is the most phony thing you can say. I understand that those mistakes played a role in your life turning out the way it did, but I know in your heart that you would do anything to have a few of those life decisions back.

For me, If I had to chose just one thing that I wish I could have back, it would be the way I treated my brother. He is not in a very good place right now, and has such abnormal behavior in his life that I can’t help but feel partly responsible. I wasn’t exactly your dream brother. We fought a lot, and I played some pretty dirty tricks on him. I remember once telling him that my parents wish that he had never been born. I think I told my parents about this before, and I know that I apologized to him the next day. I feel so terrible about ever convincing him about that. That’s the part of me that feels bad, and regrets my actions towards him.

I have a lot of other uninteresting things that I regret dong in my life, but my point in all this is that I do not feel disqualified. I can honestly say that 18 year old Thomas couldn’t have dreamed of things being this good. I am so excited about this second 1/3 of my life. I won’t even bother to dream what my life will look like at 50. I will trust that the Lord has it planned out. That’s good enough for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, So I figured this out once the reason why life just flies by faster and faster as you get older and older. Totally a mathematical thing. At age two, one year is HALF of your life; at age five it's 20%. So, Thomas right now at 25, one year is 4% of your life. At 50, it will be 2%. The time doesn't change but our perception of it does.
In regards to regret-I, personally, like the philosophy that if we went back and changed something we regret, it could potentially alter the course of how we turned out, and perhaps the course of history (you've seen those movies where they try to do that, right? - Kate & Leopold), however, that doesn't take away the regret. Perhaps the situation can be remedied in another fashion. We just understand that it can't be reversed back at that moment in time. This should encourage us to think before we speak, act, etc, and thus, we are (hopefully) able to learn from our mistakes and regrets. Still, it doesn't make anything we did or said less regrettable. That's just my take on the topic.

12:14 AM

 
Blogger .justin said...

i REGRET my "female-relationships" at LIFE. I know that I've told you in the past that I don't regret them, and I was probably the person you quoted by saying "that just helped me to become who I am today". But now I KNOW that I REGRET them very much.

I now reap what I sow. I have an untrusting and unforgiving wife that stems fromt he hurt I have caused her in the past, before I even met her. God has forgiven and redeemed me, but my human wife still has a gaping wound.

Let this be a personal testomony against pre-marital sex and sexual relationships. physical, emotional, and spiritual imtimacy with a person other than your wife will place road blocks all over your future marriage. i promise.

8:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home