i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Sunday, February 27, 2005

I Got ID

We got up at 4:30 in the morning. Mellissa’s dad was at our front door a few minutes before five. We spent an hour and a half trying on our way to the airport. We exchange hugs and make our way to the line. We get to the desk and everything is going swimmingly. The Lady behind the counter asks for ID’s. Mellissa’s demeanor changes from excitement to terror in a matter of 30 seconds. She frantically scours places in her purse that her wallet could not be, knowing that it could not be there. The simple laws of physics prevent a wallet of that size from being stuffed into a pocket in the lining of a small purse. But she looked there anyway. Part of it was insincere. She knew she didn’t have the wallet. She was starting to remember that she paid the bills late the night before and didn’t recall putting the wallet back into the bag. She was looking for my benefit and for the lady behind the counters. She felt the more shocked she appeared the more likely that the consequence would be waived. After a little explaining and a little begging, they let us get on the plane. We were both surprised. We thought for sure that the trip was as good as over.

I being the good husband that I am had little reaction besides the shaking of my head in disapproval. In the end we made it to Hawaii unscathed. But the issue didn’t end there. Due to a series of holidays we were unable to get the ID sent to Hawaii in time for the return flight. So during the whole trip Mellissa was living in constant stress of things not going quite as well on that side of the lake. She almost couldn’t enjoy one of the most amazing places on earth because of the constant burden weighing on her. Will they let me on the plane this way? Will I get stuck in Hawaii with my in-laws? She didn’t know and it changed the whole experience.

Ephesians 1:13 says “And when you believed in Christ, he identified you as his own by giving you the Holy Spirit…”. That is our ID. It is issued by Christ himself, and it is carried by us in the form of the Holy Spirit. We can live out our life with joy if we have our ID. We need not fear failure if we have our ID. We have authority when we have our ID. We need not worry about our trip to the other side when we have our ID. I need to live out every day of my life with my ID. God help me to do that!

My lips are shakin’
My nails are bit off
It’s been a month since I’ve heard myself talk
All advantage this life’s got on me
Picture a cup in the middle of the sea

- Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam in his song “I Got ID”

I'm not so sure he did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home