i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Monday, February 28, 2005

The Art of Growing Up

Sean Penn was sitting four rows in front of me on the plane last week. I was in the front of coach class, and he was in the front of a very small first class. I realized he was married to Forrest Gump’s girl, Jenny. I had never been around a famous person for quite that long before. I have spoken to basketball players, and seen movie stars. Heck I even bussed sir Elton John’s table once. This time I was trapped in a flying capsule with a star for around five hours. He didn’t look as glamorous as one would expect. Not that Sean Penn is one of the more glamorous stars out there. It was an interesting experience.
During the whole flight I found myself wondering, “what is Sean doing now?” I wondered if he ate the peanuts like we all did. Did he watch the same terrible movie that we did? Besides being in first class was he just as uncomfortable as we were? During the whole flight there was a slight buzz from the crew and the passengers around him. I must have heard “Sean Penn” whispered a dozen times. After the flight we were walking out to the street and happened to be right beside him as they scurried along, trying to go unnoticed. They skipped the baggage claim area, and went directly out to await their ride home.
This little encounter, or lack thereof taught me something about myself. I do not treat all people equally. I am not real sure how I learned it. I think my thought process went something like this.

Wow there’s Sean Penn

It must be cool to be Sean Penn

I would love to be his friend

Wait a minute Sean Penn isn’t that different from me

He has to deal with the same junk I do

His life is just as significant as mine or the homeless persons

Why do I value him higher

Would Jesus

No

I am not sure if this is rational to anyone else but it was deeply convicting to me. It reminded me of one of our core values at tribe. Dare I say it be THE core value. If tribe does nothing else our goal is to see it build relationships.
But I am locked in an internal debate around this question. Here is my concern. Can relationships of real intimacy, the kind of intimacy you had with childhood friends, be formed this late in life? Or is friend making like language learning – only easy when you are young? Are we programmed to lose this ability when we hit a certain age, or have made a certain amount of friends? DO we start out our life with a certain allotment of friend making – you can make 7 close friends and then you are done? I have to believe that this is not the case, but a lot of evidence points this way. Truth is I know it just take a lot more work.
And I still want tribe to breathe this. It is the reason why we exist and the best platform on which to reach our spiritual goals. Just because it is hard, doesn’t mean that I will give up. To all who are reading this, don’t take it the wrong way. I want your friendship so badly. I have been reading all about church planting lately, and everything tells me that it has to be done with intimate relationships. I am really desiring those. Not just to plant a church, but more because that is how I enjoy life.
Long story short – I am deeply confused by the art of growing up.
Love you guys and hope that our relationships continue to grow.

5 Comments:

Blogger jimmy said...

This is actually Katie. I have never "posted" so I am just using Jimmy's little thingy here. I recently had a scuffle with a friend I made late in my life. She asked why I hadn't brought up my issues with her earlier. I didn't really have an answer at first. It certainly wasn't due to a fear of confrontation. I scuffle with this chick all the time. Then it hit me. I am tired of this friendship being so much bloody work. I asked her if she has to have knock down, drag out fights with tearful, "I'm sorry I'm not a better friend" endings with any of her other friends. Much to my suprise she said yes. Then I can't believe I said it but I told her I wish I could just knock on your door and ask if you could come outside and play and then play until the street lights come on. Then we go home until tommorrow. Hearing that come out of my mouth made me realize I am not a child. Things are complicated now. Somethings or people actually take work. I apologized for everything and told her I would always tell her how I feel. I did avoid the tears this time.

4:16 PM

 
Blogger .justin said...

dude. i can't believe i know somebody who sat 4 rows behind sean penn who sat in an airplane and was at the oscars and shown on international television last night. wow. that is so rad. no wait: that's hot.

but bussing sir elton john's table: that's bull. he would never eat at old spaghetti factory in duarte and i've known you long/well enough to have heard about it if it happened at Roy's.

i'm honored to be part of your "7, then you quit" circle of friends. yeah, i'm personally placing myself there. ha!

5:50 PM

 
Blogger Just a girl.... said...

Something in between your entry and Katie's comment brought something up inside of me. There's a jealousy inside of me when it comes to my 7 year old daughter and her amazing ability to make friends. Then again, wasn't it always this easy for most kids? Somewhere around the lack of judgment, and the innocence of being in "the same class so they must be my friend", it's just so unfair that when we grow up it isn't like this. My daughter will play for hours with a friend, and find countless things to talk about, and it seems like she has a new best friend every week. Me, I have a couple of friends that I've carried from my childhood into my adulthood, and I still keep so much of myself bottled up from them. And when did I run out of things to say? And as for making new friends, it's still hard to not feel judged and small, or I just make the excuse that I lack the time it takes. But when you're a child, it's just like Katie said about coming over and playing outside until the sun goes down. I wish it were that easy now.

10:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know Thomas, I have been thinking about this very same thing lately. My best friend is in the army and is taking some special class for a month and is unable to keep in contact. And all I can think is, I wish I could talk to her and tell her what's good in my life and what's falling apart and what I'm excited about. I'm trying to figure out why I can't trust anyone else the way I trust her. We've been friends since 8th grade. We've had our stuff, but there is something there that is so different than any other friend relationship I have. I really think for me it's the trust issue. I completely trust her and I think I can find so many reasons to not trust people in my life now. Somewhere fear has stolen a big part of the play called life. I wish I could re-learn how to trust people.

12:34 AM

 
Blogger Kerry said...

I started responding to this, but after about the fourteenth paragraph realized that it was going to be an essay. Check my site for the entry:

vowelmoovement.blogspot.com

10:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home