i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Seeker Insensitivity

Exodus 8:26 – “The Egyptians would detest the sacrifices that we offer to the Lord our God. If we offer them here where they can see us, they will be sure to stone us.”
*
I have no problem with seeker sensitivity. I just don’t think it belongs in our churches. This verse may not be a great example but it made me think about the whole issue. The Israelites were so sure of the kind of worship that they had to bring the Lord that they made no attempt to be appealing to those around them. In fact they were so sure that there practices were going to be offensive to those who did not understand that they wanted to travel for days to be able to do what they were called to do. Now I understand that they didn’t come from an inclusive point of view but this verse just got me thinking. If we were to worship the Lord the way we are encouraged to in scripture, we would be pretty freaky to the unbelievers. Take a look at the book of acts. Not very seeker sensitive. I came to realize today that I can’t think of one instance where a non believer ever shows up at any kind of service in scripture. Paul alludes to it in 1 Corinthians in his teaching on tongues, but outside I cannot recall a successful conversion in scripture that was done in a church meeting.
I don’t want to just start an argument with this so I feel that my application to this is in my own life. I need to worship hard when I am alone and in Tribe. I need to do all those embarrassing things that could get me stoned in those times to start. I need to be more seeker sensitive in my daily life. I can do this by not using Christianeese, being more tolerant of those who have different lifestyle choices from me such as the Gay community, or the New Age community. By this I do not mean agreeing or even condoning sinful behavior. I need to be more loving, and willing to befriend people who have a different persuasion than my own. This is where seeker sensitivity will flourish. We have this definition that seekers are only seekers at 10 am on Sundays, but the truth is that the entire unchurched community is seeking answers and they are doing this as they live out their lives, every minute of everyday. I need to be more sensitive to that.
*
Lord, Help me to worship you better. Help me to have the courage to worship you in a way that might even make me look silly. Let me personally be more seeker sensitive. Fill the individuals of tribe with seeker sensitivity in their own lives. I pray that you would use that to grow tribe, yet we would be able to keep focused on the real reason for our existence. We exist to worship you in whatever ways you desire. As we lift you up, make good on your promise and draw all men to yourself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Just a girl.... said...

I was just talking about this very issue, in a different light (is that contradicting, or what?) to a friend today! Anyways, thanks for your comment, and the link to my journal. God Bless!

3:59 PM

 
Blogger jimmy said...

BRAVO!!!! Well said!!! Seeker sensitive in your everyday life. What a concept.

11:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home