i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Sunday, February 06, 2005

The Moody Generation

Acts 13:52 – And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

*

The thing about this verse is that it is taken from a segment about the persecution of the disciples. They were getting chased down and some were getting killed, and this is their response. When I read this I get to thinking about my moodiness. How can I even come close to justifying being not joyful, when I live in such a peaceful little world? I deal with nothing that these guys had to go through, yet I get depressed, and in bad moods. In many areas of my life I am missing the joy of the Lord.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a pretty even keel guy. I don’t have huge mood swings, but I know myself better than anyone with the exception of God. I am not as joyful as I may come across. This week even I was feeling like I was in a bit of a funk, and no matter of praise could break me out of it. My question is whether or not this problem is new to the world? Did people in Jesus time have the psychiatric problems that we have today? Why is it that Jesus never does anything about these kinds of issues in scripture? Did they just not talk about that kind of stuff?

I don’t want to get to deep into the questioning. I realized today that my blog needs more application ideas, so my application is to, note when my mood appears to be lacking joy, and get down and pray for God to fix that. He wants me to be filled with joy and the Holy Spirit, so what is keeping him from doing something about it? Me. I am keeping him from giving me his joy, and I don’t want to stand in the way of that.

*

God, I want your joy. Please give it to me. Show me times where your joy is missing in my life, and remind me to get on my knees at those times. Life is so much better when I live in just the shadow of your joy.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Did people in Jesus time have the psychiatric problems that we have today?"
I'm sure they did, they were just labeled differently, or their joy was expressed differently because of the situation they were in. And they weren't so heavily medicated (not that Thomas is medicated-I don't know). Or maybe they were--just with "old school" medication.
I'm not really sure why I chose this question to respond to, but it stuck out to me. I, too, struggle with joy in my life. I AM an optimist, and I lead a generally happy life, but I think I am too easily put into a bad mood by stupid things, like somebody wanting something from me, when I want a minute (a whole minute) alone. And then two seconds later I pray to God to bring me joy - and I think he does, but I'm reluctant to really have it. I, for some reason think my way of venting is better. And the cycle continues...
God, show me joy-fill me with the Holy Spirit always!

7:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to be anonymous-not that it matters. See above.

7:51 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home