i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Monday, January 31, 2005

The Christian Climax

Exodus 29:40 – “I am the one who brought them out of Egypt so that I could live among them. I am the Lord their God.”

*

This verse spoke to me today. This is found smack in the middle of all the instructions and dimensions of the tabernacle and all its paraphernalia. This little gem is found right in there. I feel like it shows how much the Lord values a relationship with us. He did all of that, the killing of the first born, the locusts, the darkness, the red sea, and on and on – why? To live with his people. He would stop at nothing to be in relationship with his people. Does he feel the same about me today? I have to believe that he does. The question of why I was saved has been going in my head ever since I read that verse about Joseph, and why God saved him in the end of genesis. Is there more to life than trying to be saved?

I heard on the radio this afternoon a preacher who was talking about how he prays for his children. He stressed that the most important thing for us to pray for in regards to our children is “for them to be saved at a young age.” I am just not sure if I buy this any more. Maybe we should rethink the way we pray for people. I want to see people get saved from the fire of hell, but even more than that I want to see God get his way. His way seems to be a relationship with his people. He will stop at nothing to get that. I know I have written a lot on this topic lately, but I can’t just skip by it. I have seen too many “saved” lives wasted. The bottom line is that God cares about relationship more than anything, so I am going to do the same. Even if you could the gospel and a lifelong relationship, I would still side with a relationship, because that is what he wants. So when little ruby or duke (my wife under no circumstances will allow me to name our son duke) come out, I am going to start saying prayers for them to be friends of God, and that they would do nothing in life but be his friend. This should be our real desire.

*

God, don’t let me get away with just applying this verse to those who I minister to. If I do this I miss the point. You want all of me too. I give you that, lets fall in love. I am open to it. Draw me unto yourself. Be my best friend. Help me to be a better one to you. At the same time, let me be careful with your gospel. You love to save people from hell but I have to believe that a relationship with them is even more important to you. I will preach this for the rest of my life. Help me to live it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Just a girl.... said...

I have to say, some of the strongest Christians I have seen are those that had been turned away from the Lord, and then were convicted to return. It's one thing to be a Christian all your life, not that this is bad, it's just easier to take it for granted. But to experience the emptiness and pain of a life away from God, then to come back to it? It makes that Godly life so much sweeter.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. But I think that's why so many of us go through a spritual vacation at some point in our lives, be it mental or more so, before we are reborn. I think in some ways, God gives us that opportunity to turn away so that we will give ourselves so much more when we return.

8:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas, I think it is awesome that you will be praying for a RELATIONSHIP between your child and God.

I grew up in the church. I asked Jesus "into my heart" when I was six, but I would say that I didn't even begin to develop a relationship with Him until the past 2 to 3 years. I wasn't bad, I just never knew that there was anything more to being a Christian than being a decent person, following a good moral standard and having asked Jesus "into my heart." I've always kind of pictured him in there watching TV. The time I've shared with Him in the past few years changed that. I now see Him walking beside me, I hear Him whispering directions in my ears and I feel His arms enfolding around me. I sometimes think, "Wouldn't it have been amazing to have known about this friendship, this relationship all along?" but I have to remind myself that God had something planned for me from the beginning and there is a reason for the path that he has set me on.
I sometimes even find my self jealous of the testimonies of those who were completely on the other side of the spectrum from me. Not only do they have this powerful experience of immense pain being taken away or a hideous addiction that just dissolves, but they seem to "get it" right away. There are people who just understand all of a sudden that God desires and plans for us to be in a deep and close relationship with Him.
But I always remember that God's path for you, is not the same for me and that he loves me and will guide me to a glorious everlasting life, no matter how "boring" or "predictable" I may think my life on earth is.

11:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liz, You're not alone. I've known God for as long as I can remember knowing anyone. I've never had a "turning away" period either. That doesn't mean life isn't tough and I don't hurt like the rest. Just remember that there is always more. God ALWAYS has more.

12:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas Costello GREAT title The Christian Climax. I am actually looking for horse lovers related information to give my customers on my website. I paused at the title and ran out of time to read, but will book mark you and come back latter to check you out some more. I am off to find some other horse lovers related blogs. Thank you.

1:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Thomas Costello, I was surfing blogs and paused at your title The Christian Climax. Thats what really caught my eye. I am promoting a horse decor related website and need to find more information to offer some of my internet friends. Not exactly what I was looking for but you have givin me some good ideas about what could be done with my horse decor related site that I will book mark and come back to hopefully get some more education from your site, you have some good stuff maybe you could visit my website and let me know what you think in my contact page. Just click on the link horse decor. Thank you and I wish you well .

4:40 PM

 
Blogger melloman said...

Hey Thomas Costello GREAT title The Christian Climax. Thats what actually caught my eye. I was surfing blogs to try and help my customers and visitors with information on my website about ##Keyword## and paused to read but ran out of time. I will book mark it and come back to read later. This isn't really what I was looking for what I really need is information about http://www.horse-lover-gift-ideas-central.com/ related subjects but thank you and I shall return. I wish you well.

5:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home