i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Monday, January 24, 2005

As Flexible as a Contortionist

Luke 24:33 – “And within the hour they were back on their way to Jerusalem, where the eleven disciples and the other followers of Jesus were gathered.”
*
Today was one of those days where I had about 5 verses jump out at me, and I could have written about any one of them. This one stood out to me and at first glance, you have to wonder why. Jesus had just appeared to these two men on the road to Emmaus. Just before this verse it says that they begged to Jesus to stay with them in Emmaus, so obviously planning to stay. It also says that this was about a 7 mile trip. Of course they didn’t realize it was Jesus until it was too late. What I see here is God stepping into the lives of these guys and then they drop everything, all their plans and all their desires to do what they knew they were called to do. A seven mile journey is like a four hour trip each way. I have had a lot of encounters with the Lord in my life, but I have never felt so motivated to share them that I would venture into an 8 hour round trip, just to tell others. These guys were so radically changed by their brief encounter that they gave up all their plans and put the Lord’s first. That speaks to me. I want to have that kind of devotion.
*
Lord I talk a lot about putting you first, but rarely do I mean it. It’s not that I am lying, it is just that I am not quite willing enough to lay down my own life. I want your help to get to that place. I pray that you would make me perfectly flexible when it comes to your will because there is nothing more important than that in my life. Holy Spirit I give you permission to use me even when I find it inconvenient. I just want to be used. Thank you for your word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home