i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The New Gospel

Acts 8 – The phrase “Good News” (gospel) appears 5 times.

Why in the heck do we capitalize these words? I had never noticed that before but each time they appear in my NLT bible they are capitalized. For the past few days I have been on a kick to define the Christian Climax, what is the pinnacle of the Christian faith. Today I am faced with another facet of the same question. I realized today that I have bought into a falsehood that is common in our generation. This false hood is that the gospel is the “how to go to heaven” message. As good as that news is I don’t think it is "the" good news.

Like I was saying, this phrase appears 5 times in this one chapter. It appears nearly 100 in the New Testament, so I didn’t have time to cross reference each verse, but I took a look at a few of them and they appear to mean something other than the good news that I have been trained to accept. They for the most part appear to mean that the kingdom of God is beginning to be restored. The Good News is that no longer do we have to liven in a downward spiral called earth. We can now live in a regenerating world, because Jesus is bringing back the kingdom of God. The good news is all wrapped up in Jesus setting a chaotic world straight again. When the apostles preached the good news, this is what they were sharing.

Now what to do with this wisdom? I have been wrestling with these thoughts for a few days now and they are changing my whole perspective on Christianity. I am on God’s side, not mans, so I am going to share God’s gospel, not the gospel most convenient to man. For years I have been praying for a stronger heart for the lost. I think I missed the point there. Yes I am supposed to care about those who don’t know the Lord, but the center of my heart should be the Lord. I should have a heart for the Lord, who has an even greater heart for the lost than I possibly could. If I do I will be much more effective. Last entry I talked all about relationship, and I still believe that is what is at the center. I want to live in worship to God and see more people come into worship with God. I care very much that people are saved from hell, but the bottom line is that I am more concerned with God getting his due. He is my God, and therefore has rank. I will live my life for his true gospel, not the one most convenient to me. The Gospel must not be man centered as we have made it. It must be centered on God.

*

God I am out there for you. You are truly my best friend, and I want other people to be your best friend to. You are so good, and deserve it. Remind me to make you the center of my life. Help me to always share the true gospel, one that’s centered on you. Help me to live the true gospel, a life centered on you. You, yourself, (not what you do for me) truly are good news.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When my family left the Seventh Day Adventist church my parents met with a pastor for months trying to sort out what they had been taught and what was really in The Book. Sometimes I feel the same way. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to read the Bible without any culture glasses or sunday school glasses or denomination glasses? Simplify. Just to be able to catch a of glimpse of what God was really trying to get across would rock our world.

11:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home