i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Preemptive Grace

1 Corinthians 10:13 – But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from being so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.

*

I am not sure I believe this. Of course I believe it because it is in the bible so my soul knows it is true, but everything in this earth and everything I have seen in my life has shown me otherwise. Sure I believe the first part; my temptations are no different from anyone else’s. I know the Lord is faithful. The next line is a little harder to believe, but I could see how that would be true. There is always a possibility to stand up to a temptation. I have never felt completely overtaken by a temptation, to the point where I had no control. It is just the last sentence that I have never experienced. I don’t feel like I am always shown a way out to my temptation. It sounds like there is to be a choice. You can look at that girl walking on the street, or here there is a way out. Sometimes it has been my experience that sin has a way of sneaking up on me. I feel like I sin sometimes and don’t realize that it was wrong until after it is done, then conviction sets in, and I miss my way out that this passage promises.

Even so I trust this word to be true. I will look harder for ways out when sin is approaching. It is in the bible for a reason and I pray that I get to experience this today.

*

Lord, show me ways out of sin. I feel like I have missed them in the past. I want to experience your preemptive grace, keeping me from separation from you rather than restoring it. Keep me from breaking your heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home