i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Sloppy Theology

I just got back from church tonight. We had a guy from Pakistan there who taught about Islam and Christianity. He then opened up the floor to anyone who wanted to receive healing. People went up, he prayed, some were “slain in the spirit” (I put that in quotes not to take away from the validity of the occasion, but simply to point out that it is not a biblical term, and I am not particularly fond of the terminology) I assume that some were healed and others were not based upon their reaction. I feel the need to be perfectly honest and I have to say that I do not fully understand healing and Christianity, and how they relate. I have seen the Lord use my prayers to heal others, but I can’t seem to neatly fit healing into my logical theology.

My problems arise when I try to answer the question of why some people aren’t healed? The obvious answer to that is that the Lord has a bigger plan. He wants to do something inside of them. Shouldn’t I have deciphered that before praying? Romans 8:16 says that our finite minds can’t comprehend everything that God wants to do, so the spirit himself intercedes for us when we don’t know how we should pray. Should prayers that God plans not to answer not be prayed in the first place? You are probably saying no, we should pray all the time no matter what. Then my question becomes how do we have faith in that, knowing that I might be praying something that God has different plans about? If faith is all that is required to do miracles, how can I have faith when I pray, if there is a real chance that my prayer won’t be answered even though it is for good reason? This is why so many Christians have been crippled into praying only that God’s will be done.

See what I mean. It doesn’t seem to fit well. I am excited for Sunday to see what the Lord is going to do in a more healing friendly context. Pray for God to be mighty and powerful there that day and that lives would be turned for God. That is the real reason why he heals people in the first place.

Lord, give me faith to move mountains. Teach me about healing. Don’t let me get in the way. I want you more than anything, even if it is messy.

2 Comments:

Blogger Thomas said...

Thanks for the thought brian. My question to that is what is faith supposed to be. We are called to have faith and not doubt when we pray, but how can we do this knowing that the Lord very well may not do what we are asking because he has a better plan. I can't forget that on purpose. Is it possible to have faith and still realize that your prayer may not be answered in the fashion that you are praying? Otherwise are we just tricking ourselves. I ask this not just to be difficult, but because I have no answers.

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas, Let me try to take a stab at your question:
Imagine you still live at home with your parents. I imagine you probably asked them permission for something or to buy you something at some point in your life. Did they ever tell you "No," or "maybe later?" Did they ever tell you it was "for your own good" or something to that effect? God is the ULTIMATE Parent. He may have to tell you "No," or "wait" (for your own good), in between the "Yes'" and the "right aways." We shouldn't just have faith that He will do everything we ask Him to do, but our faith should be that He will lead us on the path of His perfect plan. Faith is something we have, not just because we are suppose to, but because we have reason to trust God. We have experienced His faithfulness and love and mercy.
Jesus said: When you pray, pray like this......Your will be done.

1:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home