i wish i was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off. - eddie vedder

Thursday, April 07, 2005

obsession

1 Corinthians 7:1 - With promises like this to pull us on, dear friends, let's make a clean break with everything that defiles or distracts us, both within and without. Let's make our entire lives fit and holy temples for the worship of God.

*

The promise that Paul is speaking of here is one of relationship with the Lord. But the promise is conditional. It requires an separation from the things that cause us to stumble. So Paul continues his case by calling us to get away from not only things that defile us but even things that distract us. If we truly desire this relationship we would do exactly that. But alas, I do not. I am easily distracted. I have what my wife (and previously my mother) call an addictive personality. ( I realize that the previous parenthetical statement could be read in one of two ways. To clarify my mother and my wife are two separate individuals. Hopefully you can ascertain the meaning given this truth) I quickly become obsessed with seemingly benign interests. I have been known to partake in a casual video game which sends me down a 4 month spiral of playing every worthwhile game released in the past 2 years. In that time I will go to video game web sites, read video game news letters, even spend half an hour playing video game demos in wal-mart like a 6 year old. I realize it is quite pathetic. But I do this with so man things in my life. Baseball/Baseball cards, Football, guitars, music, Mexican food, anything I could call an interest, quickly becomes an obsession or me. Some of these things can even be healthy. For the first few months I was blog obsessed. This was good because I felt like God was showing me a lot, and that I grew in relationship with a bunch of people in that time. I have even been addicted to bible and other Christian book reading. Not necessarily a distraction, or is it?

It can be. I wish I wasn’t so obsessive.

*

God you made me thins way. My theology tells me it wasn’t on accident. It has the tendency to separate us, but I know it doesn’t have too. I pray that you would be the object of my obsession. That I would run to you with all my free time. I am not even close. Help me to get there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home